Strategies I know work

4x Joy-filled Memories:

  1. Aged 12, flying a glider with my Dad - possibly the only positive memory I have with him.
    Joy level now: 1/10. Original joy level: 6/10
  2. Aged 33, proposing to my wife outside the Opera House using postcards written by her family and closest friends.
    Joy level now: 4/10. Original joy level: 8/10
  3. Aged 45, my daughter asking me to how to ask the Holy Spirit into her heart.
    Joy level now: 10/10. Original joy level: 8/10
  4. Aged 50, receiving a surprise visit from a friend who'd flown 1,800 km to see me.
    Joy level now: 9/10. Original joy level: 9/10

4x Distressing Memories:

  1. Aged 12, flying a glider with my Dad - possibly the only positive memory I have with him.
    Distress level now: 3/10. Original distress level: 10/10
  2. Aged 8, sexual assault by a man.
    Distress level now: 2/10. Original distress level: 10/10
  3. Aged 16, Bullying by peers at school.
    Distress level now: 5/10. Original distress level: 10/10
  4. Aged 49, Having my hopes of living as a new man crushed by my wife.
    Distress level now: 8/10. Original distress level: 10/10


Things I've done to heal distressing memories 1-3:
  • Telling someone else what happened
  • Realised I am not the only person this has happened to
  • Counselling
  • Realised I wasn't at fault
  • Realised my reactions were normal
  • Recognised what happened as abuse and assault
  • Reprocessed with different emotions (JiM)
  • Imagined the distressing memory and reacting as my adult self, and comforting my younger self
  • Reframing the distressing memory with myself as the victor, not the victim (JiM)
  • Written a reflective journal
I have done all of those things for the first 3 distressing memories, but not the last. Guess what I'll be doing next?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Story

Who Are We Becoming?

Statement on "Why we're separating?" for our kids